Tim,
I will give you an account of what I have been through.  We did the same thing
as you going from 7.0 to 7.1 and we have 6 different environments that I did
this on.  It really depends on how you did your customizations because when a
AL comes in from the patch it will overwrite what is OOB.  So for example if
you took an AL that was OOB and renamed it as your own and then made your
changes and disabled the OOB one then all the patch would do is come through
and re-enable the OOB one.  So you would just have to disable the OOB one as
well.  Now if you just changed the OOB AL and did not rename it then the patch
is going to blow out your changes.  As for the forms, I was told by BMC and we
experienced the same thing that if you  add a custom field to a OOB form and do
not use their range then you should be fine.  We had the same experience in
that all the fields we added where there and did not get deleted, however
sometimes the patch does take them out of the view so change that before you
start freaking out.  So basically what we did after the patches is went through
and did extensive testing on what the patch changed and then when we went to
production we had a def file of all the stuff we needed to change back.  Import
the patch and then import the changes and we were good to go.  It was actually
easy doing in production but that was because we did a lot of testing.  I did
notice the most annoying thing was that the patch change permissions we added
to OOB forms.  Like the user form.  We made it public read and every time we
run a patch it seems like it removes that permission, but again those are the
things we found out during testing.  All in all I do not think it was too bad
but again that depends on your development standards and how you change OOB
forms and workflow.  Let me know if I can be of anymore help.

Kevin Begosh, RSP
301-791-3540 Phone
410-422-3623 Cell