From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Carey Matthew Black
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2009 12:19 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Anybody able to export all ITSM 7.x definitions with DevStudio?

Guillaume,

I have not tested it with DS.(DevStudio)

This issue has been discussed on ARSList (and reported to the vendor) multiple
times across multiple version(AKA: years).

However, in previous Admin Tool version I think you will find that the problem
is actually a client timeout at the C API layer. Basically the Application
Server can not get the objects together in one big string fast enough to return
to the client before the client decides that the server fell off the face of
the planet.

And the last time I asked Tech support... there is no environment setting that
you can set to adjust the timeout. So there is no known way to override the
"reasonable" timeout when you know your doing something that will take a very
long time to complete.

In the past an approach to workaround this is to use things like Driver, or an
API program to loop over all of the objects and export them one at a time.

Maybe DS fixed that problem? ( But it does not sound like it to me.)

What is amazing to me is that BMC Tech Support considers the fact that you can
not export all of the objects at one time to be a "performance problem" and it
is "the customers implementation" that is the root cause of the condition.
(AKA: They are not even willing to open a bug against the version/API. So they
take no responsibility and have no interest in re-implementing anything to
avoid the problem of "slow customer hardware". And I have yet to have anyone
from the company confirm that they have hardware that can actually do the task
either.)

--
Carey Matthew Black
BMC Remedy AR System Skilled Professional (RSP) ARS = Action Request

Love, then teach
Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.