If the server is validly licensed, what about External Authentication?  Do
you have "Authenticate Unregistered User" checked?  Or even "Allow Guest
Users"

I think it is a long shot that all of your users would have started using
the different case usernames then they usually use. This sounds like a
symptom of people authenticating not using the exact case as their login
name in the User record.

In the case of Authenticate Unregistered Users they would still authenticate
to the LDAP server but would not match up their User record.  They would be
logged in but their licenses and groups would not be picked up from the User
form.

For Allow Guest Users they would be allow to login as a guest using any
username they typed in.

You usually wouldn't see a user behavior change on mass scale like this.

Did something in change between the external authentication server and
Remedy?  Maybe their LDAP usernames where changed (jsmith changed to
john.smith) and they are now registering as Guests?  Maybe somebody changed
the case of the Login Names of all of these users in the User form?

Just some thoughts, HTH.
Jason