To clarify, we do have CMDB 2.1.0 at patch 4.

Our first attempt to install Asset resulted in a pile of errors against
missing forms (e.g., AST:PurchaseLineItemAssetJoin).  I was puzzled because
I expected the Asset install to handle all the AST forms.  Perhaps this is
because we are at ITSM patch 008?

So Chris, you are saying that we should
1.  Install ITSM patch 007 (downgrade)
2.  Install Asset