Change is much different on its OOB flow from Incident.
Its a strict stage by stage process that has it setup so that users have to go
from one status to the next , then to the next, etc.
It then bases all the notifications to particular roles based on that stage
(like these Requested For Notifications when it is scheduled for release or
when it has been completed and will notify the Assignee when it is in Planning
In Progress, etc.)

Incident emails are fired on what I think is a more logical events and events
that cover all the typical (or most of the typical) changes to the incident.

We have a automated integration to a staging form from an external service
request system that will create some of our Change Requests at this Planning In
Progress status and thereby notifying the Change Assignee about the new request.
Our management is talking about moving that process to incident actually and
only tracking IT initiated infrastructure changes (that are discussed at a CAB
board) in the Change form.

Thanks
Peter Lammey
ESPN IT Packaging and Automation