The things I've looked for regarding performance issues:

*         Speed/duplex settings on your NICs - I don't have any hard
numbers on this, but I've seen in the past (not necessarily with Remedy)
where if the NIC's and switch port's speed/duplex settings don't match
or if they're set to auto/auto, explicitly configuring these settings to
match (e.g. 1Gbit/Full) on both the NIC and switch port have yielded
HUGE throughput improvements.

*         Use the SQL profiler tool to set up a trace that logs all
transactions that take more than N amount of time to complete. I
generally use 1000ms when I do traces like this, as it's my belief that
no single SELECT statement should take more than a second to complete.
You can use the output of this tool to find queries (SELECTS are the
easiest to analyze) that run long, and see if you're perhaps missing an
index on an oft-searched column.

*         Use the Windows Performance monitor on the SQL server itself
and get some stats on memory usage, and especially disk I/O (average
disk queue length for individual disks is the most helpful). Slow disk
I/O is second only to lack of available RAM in its performance-killing
effectiveness. In past experience, I found that having even a handful of
heavily used tables all on the same disk can cause an I/O bottleneck.
I've also found that having even two or three heavily used tables and
those tables' indexes on the same disk hurts too.

*         Of course, turning on API and SQL logging and running that
through arloganalyzer doesn't hurt either if nothing else is telling you
anything interesting. This tool would help you determine if you have
enough available threads configured, for example (e.g. a high thread
wait time would indicate you don't have enough threads, etc.).

Mike