I apologize if someone already brought this up and I missed it, but I would
recommend looking into BMC’s new licensing model.  They refer to it as “blue”
pricing versus the old “green” pricing.  Under the blue pricing model you buy
one “BMC Remedy IT Service Management Suite” (was about $12K retail) and you
get an unlimited amount of licensed installs for the following modules:

• Remedy AR System Server

• Remedy Flashboards Application

• Remedy Knowledge Management Application with 1 User

• Remedy Migrator

• Remedy Encryption Performance Security

• Remedy Developer Plus

• Remedy Distributed Server Option (DSO)

• Remedy Service Desk Application

• Remedy Asset Management Application

• Remedy Change Management Application

• Remedy Service Level Management

• BMC Analytics for BSM

• BMC Dashboards for BSM

• Remedy Change Management Dashboard

• Atrium CMDB

• Service Management Process Model for Service Support

• Service Management Process Model for Service Delivery

• Unlimited number of servers

You spend $12,000 (or less) for that one line item and you will NEVER have to
buy another module.  You NEVER need a demo or trial license key to install ARS
or any of the other modules ever again.  You can have as many licensed
production, quality assurance, test, development, etc servers that you wish.
You just have to buy whatever USER licenses that you wish to use on those
servers.

Under blue pricing, the USER licenses are a bit more expensive in most cases.
But the other thing that makes the blue pricing model attractive is that you
pay maintenance on the PURCHASE price of the license, not the RETAIL price.
For customers that buy their licenses at a good discount off retail, your
maintenance can be considerably less.  So you will pay a bit more for the USER
license at purchase time, but you can save that and more in the following years
that you pay in maintenance.  For one of our customers, maintenance under green
would have been $120K annually and by going to blue their maintenance was $90K.

One catch though, you can’t just switch from green to blue whenever you want…
There is a whole migration methodology that BMC uses to determine how much of a
migration credit you get for your green licenses towards a blue conversion.  To
make the conversion work, you have to spend some more money.  But if you are
preparing to purchase some new licenses or renew your support contract anyhow,
I strongly encourage you to look into this new pricing before your fork out the
dough.  You may be able to use that money to make a conversion to blue.  Even
if you are using custom apps, blue pricing can save you money.

We are a BMC partner and can answer any questions or provide you with a
migration quote…   Let us know if we can help.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff Lockemy

Solution Architect