Very interesting...

Have you seen Kinetic Task?

Basically an asynchronous task engine that runs similar to how you describe.

It can run on the same server as ARS or outside the server too.

It allows you to eliminate many of the unnecessary steps that filters are
currently doing in-phase and let's them run out of phase effectively improving
user performance.

Kinetic Task is a generic task engine to coordinate ARS workflow and non-ARS
workflow across the enterprise.

It was designed to address the exact case you mentioned - the ability to
"customize" workflow but to manage the associated risk of doing so. (it is the
back end processing engine of Kinetic Request 5.0)

I have been dreaming of it for ten years - we have finally built it.

So to get back to your comment/vision - yes I agree you can pull it off with
some good design and a set of tools and processes.

-John

Sent from my iPad
--
John Sundberg

Kinetic Data, Inc.
"Building a Better Service Experience"
Recipient of the WWRUG09 Innovator of the Year Award

john.sundb...@kineticdata.com
651.556.0930 I www.kineticdata.com