From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of strauss
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:50 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: SSI 7.6.04 64 bit vs 32 bit questions

Welcome to Vista Server.  You only _think_ that you have permission to the file
space.  The BMC installers try to tuck their read/write paths into some of the
worst places, since they only have access to what your logged-in account can
see/do.

My practice on installs on 2008 R2 WAS to do as follows:

Log in for all installs with a domain user account that was a local admin; on
2008 R2 it worked better if the account was also a domain admin.  This account
was also a user in the SQL Server 2008 instance, since it became the account
that ran the ARS Service and was the dbo for the ARSystem db.

On the AR Server, I create a C:\Home directory and give Full rights to that
same user.  Then I use that for User Tool, Developer Studio, and DataImportTool
        Paths for home directories
                BMC Remedy Developer Studio Home: C:\Home\DeveloperStudio
                BMC Remedy Data Import workspace: C:\Home\DataImportTool
                BMC Remedy User Home Directory:   C:\Home

I also created the BMC Software directories for the installation and gave Full
permissions to the service account as well:
                Create D:\Program Files\BMC Software with Full Control for <ARS
account>
                Create D:\Program Files (x86)\BMC Software with Full Control
for <ARS account>

Without that, you will find that you cannot edit any of the .cfg files manually
after the installation, among other things.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/