Still the same issue, I just did a re-install competely. It was an empty db
anyhow, test & development.

** can you TNSPING the oracle db
can you sqlplus with the USER you are logged in as to the db (system or SA)
can you login as ARAdmin (sqlplus)

once that works:: then it should be clear to proceed:: I had all that and still
got what you got.. and never could upgrade...
I got busy and never went back to it, I just used sp1:: it worked immediately.
Something is missing in the code (I believe), the SP2 patch needs to be Patched
again.