Disadvantage:

Less ability to complain about ARS - which is sometimes fun.

Other than that - I am stumped for a reason.

(I would list the positives - but I have created large emails before on
ARSList - and I run into the max email length problem -- I predict I would
run into that again)

-John

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 2:55 AM, John Baker
<jba...@javasystemsolutions.com>wrote:

> Jose,
>
> I'm pleased you agree and don't.
>
> Let me tackle the don't: I'm not suggesting there shouldn't be a user
> interface/admin tool, and there is no reason why that can't remain.
> However, the current approach of trying to put workflow into a database
> isn't working because functionality that was available in the 1970s
> (according to the Wiki page, but 1990 is a more reasonble guess) proves
> difficult/impossible to implement in AR System.
>
> Storing as a script will allow merges in seconds, side by side easy to
> read diff between two sets of workflow, multiple branches and branches on
> branches, access over ssh, a pretty web interface and integration to bug
> tracking systems (JIRA), test driven development - the list goes on. All of
> which is available for free or with little effort if workflow is stored as
> scripts, not stored into a database table.
>
> The problem with the current model touches so many areas of AR System:
> When Mid Tier isn't required to store workflow in a memory cache and can
> simply point the browser at scripts, the "pre-cache" functionality will
> largely disappear and the product will become vastly less memory hungry and
> much quicker.
>
> Perhaps I should ask, can anyone think of a disadvantage with taking
> workflow from the schema and into scripts?
>

> John

John David Sundberg
235 East 6th Street, Suite 400B
St. Paul, MN 55101