You could look at creating different companies based on a logical
division within the parent company such as a region or high level org
structure and go mult-tenant.

This would effectively give you one more layer of grouping and also
allow you to refine permissions to the region etc.

We did this but then kept the support organizations named similarly so
that each "company" had a desktop tech support org and a telecom
support org etc

Because we based this on a high level org structure we were also able
to represent one more level of the organization in the company org
dept structure.

Thanks

Cade