Warren,

Reference: Not paying for support and losing patches.

At JSS, we provide access to updates regardless of whether a customer is
paying for support. When politely asking if a customer wishes to renew
their support, because we're always grateful for their business, we
point out that support is optional.

However, we'd like to think we've worked hard for a support renewal - by
offering a personalised support service, regular updates, giving
everyone an opportunity to shape the product direction - and most
customers decide to renew.

It's occurred to me that this is an interesting quandary for any
company. If they believe their support service is valuable, they'll
offer upgrades/patches to organisations that have purchased a license
regardless of whether they pay for support, confident that their
customers will always renew.

But if the service is poor, the customer won't renew support. It's a
great way to benchmark a business and the leadership offered by all
those involved.

John