Scott,
I'm not familiar with any sort of 'primer' or sorts for Remedy.  The best I
can suggest for you is to get in contact with BMC, ask for a temporary
license...any sales rep should be able to give you that...from there, it'll
give you a Support ID...generate yourself a support.bmc.com account (if you
don't already have one, if you do, associate the id with your existing
account) and go to the docs.bmc.com web site and download all of the
documents in PDF format for both Remedy as well as all of the application
suites.  For your activities, most of the material should be 'review', but
you should be able to cover the What's New material and get the
latest/greatest of 8.1...there have been allot of changes in Remedy since
7.5/7.6.03. in relation to base/custom/overlay stuff, and it's really a big
change..so that'll be something you want to pay attention to...but
honestly, that would be my best recommendation.