Ron,
The chances of your code being overwritten by BMC is really slim to none
unless you are using naming conventions that would be used by BMC....so
leaving things at base doesn't really matter in that case...but
honestly...if it is YOUR code, it should be a Custom object...if it's BMC's
code, it should be in Base...plain and simple.