From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Jim Coryat (jcoryat)
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2014 11:04 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: ITSM 8.1.2 Installer Deleting Overlays?

**
This is what we have experienced in our environment YMMV.

The issues we observed are with the 8.1 SP1 Arserver installer.  We are
currently on 8.1. patch 2.  From discussion with support the installer is the
same or similar between ARServer and ITSM.  So this may provide some insight.

We have overlays on AP:Detail and AP:Signature.  This is to facilitate our
archive strategy.

What we observed is that child forms of the join form AP:Detail-Signature would
get an overlay added by the installer, which unfortunately would be corrupt.
The DBcheck log during startup would show the issue with an overlay.  Removing
the overlay resolve the problem so ARServer would start.  However the root
cause seems to be with both of the regular forms of the join form having
overlays.  The join form’s children will have a corrupted overlay added to it.

The forms that would get a corrupt overlay are:
RMS:ReleaseAPDetailSignature
SRD:ServiceRequestDefinitionAPDetailSignature
IAM:RequestApDetailSignature
CHG:ChangeAPDetailSignature
SRM:RequestApDetailSignature

Only one of the forms in the list would get the corrupted overlay.  If you
remove the corrupted overlay and re-run the installer, one of the other forms
in the list would get the corrupted overlay.  You could rinse and repeat and
get through the installer with a clean completion.  What we found is that if
you remove the overlays from the regular forms in the hierarchy, the issue
would not manifest itself to begin with. We theorized there is some value that
is set/unset when this issue happens.  Re-running the installer will not add a
corrupted overly to a “fixed” child join form.

Hopefully someone will find this helpful. ☺

Jim Coryat
Senior Software Engineer
Micron Technology, Inc.