I can't recall the first app that I built -- I inherited several on the
same system which I had already been using as a help desk agent.

Our call center signed up one ISP after another as clients, and they each
needed a Remedy app.  (They weren't ISPs, per se -- this was back in
dial-up days and they were reselling ISP service as some MLM tool.  Our
sales force apparently kept going after them.)  After I had done 3 or 4 of
these, I finally made a "boilerplate" app, so when the project manager said
that we were supporting a new ISP starting tomorrow, I could make edits
directly in the DEF file and have a new app in an hour or less.  (However,
it seemed that the urgency with which these needed to go into production
strongly correlated with the likelihood that the project never actually
went live at all.)

Weirdest app I built was so our call center could take calls from a wealthy
family, e.g. the children reporting that an appliance was broken.  We'd log
a ticket and dispatch the household staff.

It was a bit of a culture shock when I changed companies, and went from
supporting corporate clients to government clients.  When dealing with the
former there was very little (if anything) in the way of documentation or
change management.

Currently I work with an all-custom AR system -- and for that I am
extremely grateful. Although some of the schemas are 20 years old, which
means Remedy was still fairly new when they started.

Happy Friday,

Joe Castleman