On 10/30/2014 11:34 PM, Slichter, Daniel H. wrote:
> Since for most experiments the DDS chips are spitting out AO
> frequencies and only one or two are providing microwave frequencies,
> this might be a good solution and then we are back to just one
> SYNC_CLK input.

Synchronization does have several advantages:
* eliminates FUD/IO_UPDATE setup violations. Even if the only
consequence (at least with the AD9858) appears to be a jitter of 1
SYNC_CLK period, not providing a stable FUD/IO_UPDATE 4/2ns before each
rising edge of SYNC_CLK is technically using the DDS chip out of specs.
* simplifies software and reduces computation time per DDS reprogramming
event.
* makes timing fully deterministic.

Sébastien