There are FMC-type connectors with much smaller number of pins (SEARAY series)
Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: ARTIQ [mailto:artiq-boun...@lists.m-labs.hk] On Behalf Of Robert Jördens
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 1:01 PM
To: Sébastien Bourdeauducq <s...@m-labs.hk>
Cc: Grzegorz Kasprowicz <gkasp...@elka.pw.edu.pl>; artiq@lists.m-labs.hk;
Slichter, Daniel H. (Fed) <daniel.slich...@nist.gov>
Subject: Re: [ARTIQ] FW: initial specification of the project

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Sébastien Bourdeauducq <s...@m-labs.hk> wrote:
> On Monday, 28 March 2016 6:30:52 PM HKT Slichter, Daniel H. (Fed) wrote:
>> Thus for the two examples above, using digital connectors with a 9 mm
>> or 11 mm total stackup height would give 250 um axial misalignment
>> (.010"), which is a typical tolerance one would want to use anyway with SMP.
>>
>> More information is available in this application note:
>> https://www.corning.com/media/worldwide/coc/documents/applications/mi
>> crowave
>> ApplicationNotes.pdf
>
> OK. Then mixing SMP with something else is fine IMO.

The other connector can well be FMC. We need at least ~40 signals other than
the analog ones going to the cards. A bunch of different power supplies, SPI
control lines, identification buses, switching, attenuation settings etc. Also
since reliably reflowing SMP connectors manually to three hair widths is rather
tricky, manual assembly is of the table now anyway. And FMC give us at least a
form factor that has been tested very well. No need to reinvent the mezzanine
here.