John,

Without getting too much into the sweatshop issue, because I'm not sure you really care, yes - computers, baby's toys, clothing, sneakers, everything you buy in a place like Wal-Mart or Kohls - are made in subcontracted factories operated by mostly Korean and Taiwanese owners, that are qualified as sweatshops. (for clarification on what a sweatshop is, you can go to www.educatingforjustice.org).   Up to 90% of our clothing and footwear comes from sweatshops.  In China, where unions are illegal and human rights abuses are well documented, sweatshops are commonplace. In India, the tech jobs are, unlike factory jobs, middle class and there have been no allegations that have surfaced of unethical treatment.

There are many things that I use that are made in a sweatshop, but that is because a sweatshop-free alternative is not currently available. When a sweatfree alternative exists, I buy it. (for a list, see our website)  If I know something is made in a sweatshop, I debate whether or not I need it, and go from there.  And I do what I can to try to change the situation.

Unlike Tiger Woods and Mia Hamm and Lance Armstrong and Peyton Manning, I am not publicly endorsing a company (in exchange for millions of dollars) whose workers have publicly said they feel they are slaves and cannot feed themselves or their children.

Hope that clears things up a bit,

Leslie

United state patent United state flag United state patent search
Trademark united state United state quarters Asbury park nj

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS