--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "bluebishop82"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I will make one point now based upon your post though.  Assuming
> your Liberty Bell scenario, where the Pony doesn't make a profit
but
> draws tourists to the town, who then will own and operate a
business
> that loses money for the purpose of bringing in tourists so others
> can make money?  You, Mr. Rockefeller?

If I had the financial strength to buy the Pony, it's liquor
license, and it's legacy back in 1999 for the asking price of
$400,000, Dominic would have had a bidding war on his hands. If I
remember correctly, since that deal was signed in Feb '99, Bruce has
had 3 world tours, 5 annual series of Holiday concerts in Asbury, 2
new studio albums, 2 concert DVDs, 2 Live Albums, and a Compilations
album. Would you agree that SOME people came to Asbury Park to see
the Pony because of Bruce? You think all these people would have
flocked to Ole's instead?

Using the Liberty Bell example, again, I can list dozens of
businesses that draw tourists to towns that aren't getting their
fair cut of the pie. With apologies to a respected poster on this
board, I believe there is an author's restored house in Asbury Park
that fits this category.

Did you ever buy a piece of art, or even better, get an autograph of
someone you admired? Did you do this because you expected it to go
up in value? I have autographs of about 50 baseball players from a
trip to Hank Aaron's enshrinement in Cooperstown in the early 80s,
and I could care less what they are worth. (Hmmm..I even remember
fondly the day my Dad drove me 8 hours up into Nowhere, NY.
Wow...nice racket Cooperstown has going).  To me my autographs are a
connection to the past, a reminder that I met Joe DiMaggio & Ted
Williams, who both retired 20 years before I was born, and got a
smile from them. They are not for sale. They are scribblings on
cardboard to some people on this board, they are goldmines to some
others on this board, but they are mementoes of MY childhood, not
theirs.

> Also, considering Werner's post, wherein the new plan is
concededly
> residential and not for tourists (absolutely correct, and the
point
> most lost on people like Save Tillie, etc.), your concern for
> attracting tourists is misplaced. Our concern is a year-round
> economy supported by Monmouth County towns (a population larger
and
> wealthier than Boston).

And yet Boston has denied the Red Sox plans 5 years ago of tearing
down Fenway Park & rebuilding a modern 60,000 baseball stadium. What
the heck are those Bostonians thinking??? They'd increase ratables
by 50% just from shoving more people in their to watch the Red Sox
lose. Just because we are larger & wealthier, doesn't necessarily
make us smarter. History will judge that.

> The Pony can stay or go and it won't make a bit of difference to
the
> redevelopment of Asbury Park.

I disagree about the bit of difference. The Pony staying means the
difference between the other businesses surviving or ridiculously
thriving. You grew up in Asbury Park, so you probably know who
Arthur Pryor was. I have no freaking clue who he is, and if you told
me he was Richard's dad, I'd believe you. You take away that
bandshell, and Arthur Pryor fades away with the memories of the
Greatest Generation & Trivial Pursuit players.

I remember the day an Asbury Park Historian (who certifies these
people anyways?) who also runs a law practice told me the story of
the Mayfair being torn down. I think the Mayfair would have an
easier job of seperating this tourist from his suburban cash than an
antique shop or an ethnic restaurant.

You take away the Pony, and my kids (who in all likelihood will
think Bruce is a dork just because their dad listens to him) have
absolutely no reason to visit Asbury Park instead of Bradley Beach
in 20 years. There's no hope of any amusements aside from an arcade,
so the City has already lost the under 16 crowd. This Redevelopment
is sacrifiicing Asbury's future revenue streams in return for a
quick fix solution to make the town not appear empty.

> There I said it.  The Pony doesn't matter. Ok, please make a
single
> file line to beat me up.  Don't all pile on at once.

It's called an opinion, and personally I respect it, even if I
disagree with it.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM