JJ,

Actually I don't disagree with you now that you're switching the
discussion to other than for profit ownership.

Let't be clear on one thing as we get further off the original topic
though.  I'm not saying that the Pony isn't, never was or couldn't
still be profitable. This thread started with my question about
whether anyone new if it in fact was profitable at any time.  No one
here seems to know for sure. Guesses only.

I fielded some calls a few years back from 2 different entities that
wanted to buy it. Turned out to be a no go.

I actually tried to buy it myself at one point with a partner of
mine, but a certain someone who was swearing in the newspaper that
he was selling turned out actually not to be selling - at any price.
Then a few short months later he did sell it.  Go figure.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "jerseyjohn99"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "bluebishop82"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > JJ the assumption we were working under (which you started with
> your
> > Liberty Bell post) is a Stone Pony that loses money.  Someone
> still
> > has to own it.  Unless they are independantly wealthy and can
> absorb
> > the loss to keep it open for sentimental reasons, it makes no
> sense
> > for that owner to keep it. Business is business.  Tillie is dead
> > because no one could re-coup a $16 million investment with
pinball
> > machine quarters as a return.  Economics rule (as it should).
> >
> No, Tillie is dead because the landowner has a lower tax
obligation
> on an empty lot than he has on land with improvements. Economics
> rule.
>
> As far as "who should own the Pony if it was the Liberty Bell?"
You
> know the answer to that: it becomes a Common Good. (Please note, I
> didn't say "Public Good", which would be the beaches, sidewalks,
> and "Cobrahead" lights). I don't really feel like blowing the dust
> off my Macro books to cite theories, but the typical response in
> handling a Common Good is to set up a private foundation such as a
> Homeowners Association, Merchant's Guild, National Trust, or any
> other 501(c)4 organization to be the caretaker for the Common
Good.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM