On 10/3/05 6:06 PM, "bluebishop82" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm not prepared to concede your premise, so I can't answer until you
> show me your proof that "virtually every town/city in America used the
> arts to be the first step in revitilization."

How many towns / cities would you like me to list?  Or how about just a few
New Jersey / NYC ones?  Take a look at the revitalization of Brooklyn,
Jersey City and Lambertville.  Or closer to home with Red Bank or even
closer - Asbury Park.  Tell me that the downtown areas in these towns were
not largely revitalized due to the arts.

I'd bet a wager that more people started coming to Asbury Park once the art
galleries sprung up, wouldn't you?

> By the way, didn't you just a couple of posts ago assert your complete
> contempt for Americans because they don't value art?  Yet here you are
> now crediting virtually every revitialized town with respecting the
> arts.

No, I think most people in charge are idiots because they watch the artists
make areas worth living in and then start forcing them out.  And that has
happened in many of the towns listed above.  For example, warehouses in
Jersey City that nobody used or wanted for decades became places where
artists lived and worked.  Those same places (now fixed up and worth a lot
of money) have largely kicked the artists out.

> Pick a side.  Are we good or bad? You with America or against her?
I'll quote a local artist on this one from a song I know you'd detest.

"They say love her or leave her,
Well why can't I do both?"
-Rick Barry

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM