--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "bluebishop82" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I know
> that at one time or another other ethnicities and races wen't
> through it, but they have all been  moved under a safety net now.
> Just try coming out with black face now in Hollywood and you will
be
> crushed.  I agree with that.  Why not the same for Italians then?

There may be no blackface, but blacks are still predominately
portrayed as criminals; the same can be said for Latinos. Arabs are
almost certainly portrayed as terrorists, and the mother of all
reversals, is that WASPs are portrayed as having something stuck up
their asses.

> The worst that I hear is when people say "I used to know guys like
> that back in my old neighborhood."  No they didn't.  Tony Soprano
> kills someone almost every week.  They never knew anyone like that
> in their neighborhood because no one like that ever existed.  See
> the problem there?  Soprano is generally accepted as real or based
> upon something real, when if fact he is nothing of the sort.

Some of did and do. That is besides the point and your points are
valid and well-taken nonetheless. But I will be watching on March
18. Thank God yesterday HBO on demand put last season up. The issues
you bring up are even dealt with in this show so I cannot dismiss
its validity inspite of the negative stereotypes it MAY reinforce in
some. A few seasons back there was a scene between Tony and his
daugther Meadow. He was trying to justify the life he chose saying
Italian Americans did not have certain opportunities years back. She
said, "Oh yeah Dad, like Mario Cuomo?" So Chase knows the script and
excuses. Look beyond the surface.