Mention preservation and the knee jerk justification for tearing down
Asbury's landmarks has been - "If it's so valuable, how come no one
wants it enough to buy it?"
Well, they can't say that about the Baronet Theater. It has been
under private ownership as long I've lived here (6 years) and it
still is today. There's money being pumped into it for repairs and
improvements and entertainment industry people ready to host events.
Now we need voters and others concerned about saving the Baronet to
do their part - please come out to the Asbury Park City Council
meeting this Wednesday and next Wednesday. Details below:

Help Save an Asbury Park Treasure

The Baronet Theater

            A concerned group of people are doing all they can to
save the historic Baronet Theater. Located close to the corner of
Kingsley Street and 4th Ave in Asbury Park, the theater opened in
1913 as a vaudeville house. The Baronet was originally called the
Ocean Theatre. It was bought and renovated in 1953 by the Walter
Reade theater chain. In the 1960s, it enjoyed a reputation as the
town's "art film" house, but by the 70s the Baronet was showing films
of a somewhat shadier nature. By the end of the decade, it was pretty
much out of business. In 1986 Walter Burns and Maurice Giberson
bought The Baronet and lovingly restored it to its art deco glory.
Sadly, they were never able to open and the theater fell into
disrepair again. They recently sold it to Pat Fasano who is known for
having restored buildings in Ocean Grove and on much of Cookman
Avenue. Pat is a construction guy who specializes in the restoration
and rehabilitation of historic buildings and that is what he is doing
at The Baronet. The Baronet will be open in May and the new theater
management company, soon to be in place, will be showing movies and
encourage the use of its stage  by local city organizations.

            Because the Baronet is in the city's  Redevelopment Zone
the specter of Eminent Domain is hovering. Mr. Fasano would like to
become the `sub-developer' of the entire block but Asbury Partners
has told him it will cost him $18 million up-front, that he must
build condominiums on the entire block, that he would not be allowed
to keep the Baronet or the Fast Lanes open and in fact, would not be
allowed to have any commercial operations on the block. We feel that
The Baronet, The Fast Lane and Asbury Lanes are structures and
businesses to be saved. They are located in the original and
traditional entertainment area close to the public beach front. Most
importantly, the owners want to save them.

            The Baronet restoration is almost complete with new fire
doors, roof and fresh paint all around. There will be a new screen,
new projectors, a new ticket booth and new carpeting installed in the
coming weeks. Stop by anytime and see the progress or call Dennis
Bubrow for a tour or information at 732-996-6843. The Save The
Baronet Project is in full swing and we need the support of every
concerned citizen.

How You Can Help

            Please plan to attend the next two city council meetings.
They are April 19th and May 3rd. The public portion begins at 7PM and
we are asking EVERYONE to stand, take a turn at the microphone and
ask the city council to save the Baronet.  Take any information from
this flyer or elsewhere and speak.

Thank You, and see you at the movies!