--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I would not, under any circumstances as a historian, use my own
> preferences.  That would make me an activist and not a Historian.
> Anyone not using objective standards is doing it wrong.

All standards are objective. Setting them down on paper or codifying
does not make them any less so. You are beginning to sound like an
engineer. When I started in this business I worked with a fellow who
started out as an engineer. Like most, everything had to be proven
to him beyond a shadow of a doubt. There is rarely ever any such
certainty. Our boss got fed up with him and told us a story about an
engineer and a farmer. They were both brought into an empty room. On
the other side of the room was a naked and voluptuous woman. They
were told that the object was to get to the woman. They could take
as many steps as they wanted, however, they were told that each
successive step could only be half the distance of the prior step.
The engineer surveyed the distance, thought about it a minute and
said, "it's impossible, I can never physically get there." The
farmer on the other hand, surveyed the distance, scratched his chin
and said, "I can get close enough."