--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "apoojo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>im shocked tommy did not rattle off 50 quick italians who
> still live here when you asked, i guess he knew you were joking,

I wasn't really joking. But the number of Italian-Americans in AP is
not the issue. Ocean Twp cannot be AP. To be part of AP you own a home,
rent, office, or have a business here. Listen, maybe I'm wrong, but I
don't see the big deal about the Columbus Day issue. Tom says people in
Ocean Twp were upset. Fine, let them have their own. If AP wants it,
then AP has it. AP gets (or should) to dictate its own future. I mean
no disrespect, certainly not to Italian-Americans (I have no self-
loathing) but I don't wear rose-colored glasses either. I can look at
history and understand it, blemishes and all. I am very proud of the
founding fathers yet I recognize that some of the most prominent were
slave masters. I accept the good with the bad. I am not for rewriting
history, but perhaps some traditions should just die. I just think the
whole thing was blown way out of proportion - namely by Tom.