I'm going to reserve decision on something JK did last night until I
hear from those on this board that support him.

Someone please tell my why...

Last night with all the people there to complain about the east/west
racial divide, with all the high tension about waht is or is not
being done on the West Side, why did Jim Keady, without warning to
other council members, in front of all, suddenly make a motion to
hand the West Side Community Center $100,000.00?

Before you answer, here's some things I do know:

1. Jim Keady is the Chair, and Rev. Nunn a member, of the
Springwoond Avenue Advisory Committee.

2. That Committee, after a year of work, is about 1 month away from
a issuing a report for West Side redevelopment.  1 month away. It is
supposed to be a very comprehensive plan that will deal with
recreation issues.

3. The City does not own the West Side Community Center, a private
Company does.

4.  With no application sitting in front the Council, no plans, no
drawings - nothing - it would be reckless to just cut a private
company $100,000.00 of public money on a motion with no hearing. If
any other private company received a $100,000.00 donation of public
money, there would certainly (rightfully) be public outrage and
calls to the prosecutor for investigation.

Here is what I think:  JK was pandering. He knew full well there was
not a chance in the world that his motion would or even should be
voted on.

JK wanted the people who were there to say the West doesn't get
enough, see him ask for $100,000.00 for them, and see the rest of
the council say no.

That would make him look good, at the cost of stoking the fires of
the geopgracphic, economic and racial divide.  That was pure
political pandering to make him look good even though it hurt the
relations among the City's people.

That's my theory, but I said I'd reserve decision.  If that is not
why he did it,

Someone, please, tell me why...