I guess it is a difference of interpretation.  I don't read him as
challenging conventional religion.

He does not seem to believe in a personal God as I do, rather he
seems to believe as Einstein, in Spinoza's God, which is that
[insert descriptive word here] in the Universe that seems to birth
and/or power certain systems.

Science has not uncovered whatever that thing is yet, which could be
God or something else. I really enjoy watching that scientific
search for truth. Guys like Hawking don't conclude that it isn't
God, so long as they can't explain what it is.  That way he isn't
alienating guys like me who believe in God.  I appreciate that from
him and other great scientists.

I have no problem teaching any science in schools.