--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Werner how about Long Branch?  The similarities between their
> beachfront and ours are many.  Pier Village, where I went with my
> family last weekend, is working very well.
>
> Why do you think it wouldn't work in AP?

LB and AP are more different than they are similar. The reputation of
LB as a resort faded away decades before that of AP. LB does not have
historic monumental buildings as AP does. Name recognition, street
grids, predominant types of development are all dis-similar.

Firt off you assume LB is working well. By what measure? Most anything
can 'work well'. That is not the issue. The issue is, what is best for
the community at large. LB's redevelopment has walled off the
oceanfront from the rest of the community.

Literally turning its 'back' to the rest of the City. Sure, once you
find your way 'inside' it is interesting and attractive in a cookie
cutter sort of way. Too bad one can no longer drive along the
oceanfront unimpeded.

As to AP, yes that model may work, as I said that is not the issue.
What is the BEST that AP can do is the question. What provides the
greatest good for the most residents. What brings value on a broad
range of concerns?

Ratable creation, employment opportunities, historic preservation,
cultural heritage, public access, mobility, relevence to other parts of
the community, economics.....etc.

Redevelopment is suppsed to heal/repair a community, instead it has
been turned into a tool to benefit developers with the acquiesence of
municipal governments.

In the large picture, the LB model of redevelopment is not something AP
should aspire to.

Werner