Apoojo,

I'm sure you're right about others having the idea long before me.
The school has been pretty bad for an awfully long time.

You also have a great idea (really great) about making this an issue
for the upcoming school board election.

We should start pressuring candidates now.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "apoojo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
> <justifiedright@> wrote:
> >
> i will give you credit for bringing this to this point, as far as
> taking credit for first bringing it to the table, i remember bds.
> talking about this in the 80s, be it moor vs harrington or
migliore
> and dondalson debating mcriff on its needs, but it never got this
far
> so thank you. it is the only answer and i will vote for the 5
> candidates who support this idea, as i posted several weeks ago, i
do
> not believe the state will do this, unless the bd. takes the first
> step and tells them as of june 30 2007 here is what we are going
> do, that gives the state 4 months to figure out the particulars.
> anything short of that and it will not happen, it is entirely up
> the bd. now. what will they do? admin. wont be happy, oh dear, the
> union wont be happy , of my, but it is the only choice, it is the
> right thing to do for the children, isnt that what it is all
> about!!!!!
>

>  As many of you know, I've been talking (blue in the face) for a
> > number of years now about the necessity of desegregating Asbury
> Park
> > High School by closing it.
> >
> > Last week I posted here and asked that all of you go to Randy
> > Bergmann's Blog (he is Editorial Editor fo the Asbury Park
Press).
> > He blogged about he school report cards, and I ended up in a
> posting
> > argument with others about closing APHS as a way to desegregate
it.

> > There ended up being 30 posts, mostly between me and a couple of
> > others. One was an intelligent fellow. One was an extreme bigot
> that
> > said just build more jails for Asbury's youth.  Scumbag.
> >
> > I digress.
> >
> > Today in the Asbury Park Press, they printed an editorial, with
the
> > postion that Asbury should close as a way of desegregating the
> > district.
> >
> > They took my argument almost to the letter, including where to
send
> > the kids.  The only thing they forgot to do was credit me, but
who
> > cares.
> >
> > The good idea is finally catching on!  See below:
> >

> > Dismantle the district
> >
> > Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 02/25/07
> >

> > There seems to be no end to the depressing stories coming out of
> the
> > Asbury Park School District. In the past two weeks alone, there
> have
> > been allegations of padded enrollment figures and bid rigging, a
> > vote of no confidence in the high school administration by the
> > teachers and a document raid on the Board of Education offices
by
> > investigators sent by the U.S. Attorney.
> >
> > Add to that the stubbornly low test scores despite the highest
per-
> > pupil costs of any K-12 district in New Jersey and a student-to-
> > staff ratio of more than 5 to 1 at the high school. The violence
in
> > and around the schools. The on-again, off-again sniping on the
> > school board. The disastrous lack of leadership at the middle
> school
> > and the chaos in the halls and classrooms there and in the high
> > school. The superintendent the board tried to fire, was forced
by
> > the state to hire back, then tried to oust again, suspending him
> > instead with pay at the insistence of the Department of
Education.

> > There have been some glimmers of hope over the past several
years,
> > but they have proved fleeting. For the most part, the school
system
> > has been a disaster. It is broken. Stronger leadership might
help.
> > But finding it — and keeping it — has been a persistent
challenge.
> > state takeover isn't the answer either, as experience in other
> > districts has shown. Given the hurdles the district faces,
> > dismantling it and starting over offers the best chance of
> providing
> > the city's students with a quality education.
> >
> > It's time for a new approach to educating children in Asbury
Park —
> > one that involves creating a desegregated regional district that
> > includes Asbury Park, Monmouth Regional, Ocean Township and
> > Manasquan. Asbury Park High School should be turned into a
county
> > magnet school for the arts. The middle school should be
converted
> > into a trade school under the jurisdiction of the Monmouth
County

http://us.click.yahoo.com/4It09A/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM