You know  what I don't get? How this city allowed all of the gems of the
boardwalk to
deteriorate away.
Go to Coney Island, and the Wonder Wheel, which is around 100 years old is
still in use,
still looks great and it's lovingly taken care of.
Our city let all of our gems fall into ruin.
Go to Europe, and it's common to wander around some of the older city streets
amongst
building that are 300 and 400 years old, built by hand, without modern
techniques, but
they are still there, in use, occupied etc.
AP had a one of a kind beautiful boardwalk and it lasted barely 100 years.
It's sad and pathetic...and misguided.
What little is left is falling apart. I took a close look at the Berkley
yesterday, and I didn't
realize what a mess it is.
Convention Hall and the Paramount are a mess too. Cracks everywhere, missing
glass, the
old marquee is terrible looking, and the beautiful ships that once graced the
building are
in the worst condition they've ever been in.
At least Cookman is looking good.
I ate at Taka the other night and I was amazed that I was in a cool sushi place
right here in
Asbury.
Cookman and the surrounding area are the only saving graces of AP for me at the
moment.
I fear that the summer season at the boardwalk is going to be quite sad indeed.
We won't even have the ability to wander into Ocean Grove from the boardwalk
this
summer, and we definitely won't get the traffic into our boardwalk from their
either.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, charlie leonard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "The sad part is that it could have been true if the Palace had not
> been destroyed.
>
> Werner"
>
>   probably.  i dont think it would have ever been used though.  wasnt it
> noted that the
steel most likely wouldnt be strong enough to use again?  as a operational
wheel?  i use to
follow the sitar farris wheel chronicals website.  it was interesting.  if MM
were serious
when they said rides on the open spaces on the boardwalk, then the wheel could
be put
together on a site, just for looks.  maybe attached to a building somehow.  its
in pretty
bad shape over at the golf course though, so who knows.