> -working at Merrill - "high technology lab" where we got to test
the
> first cellphones (car phones). Suitcases.

My partner (now 82) had a cell phone in the 1960's. You had to get
special permission for one. He did a lot of work for the utilities
upstate. It took up the whole trunk of the car and was more like ship
to shore.

I remember taking "computer" in HS. It took you the whole day to
write a program (Fortran?) to add 2 + 2 = 4. I said to my
friends, "this thing will never catch on." Who knew? You put the
phone on a receiver (modem?) and were able to run a simulated horse
race.

> Old age sucks.

Yeah, but the alternative is even worse.