--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I appreceiate your kind words Sharon, but respectfully, Columbus day
> is not how I celebrate my Italian or Catholic heritage.
>
> It's about my AMERICAN heritage.  Most of my critics in that regard
> miss that point.  Columbus Day is celebrated because of his peronal
> discovery leading to the development of my home country, America.

"Two thousand seven marks the 500th anniversary of the naming of
America — that is, the entire Western Hemisphere, the vast body of
land stretching from the northernmost reaches of Canada to the
southern tip of Argentina, which, until the middle of the last
century, was commonly called the American continent. The present
quincentenary offers the perfect occasion to consider the cultural
matter of what's in a name, not just any name, but the one that has
come to be known in every corner of the world, rightly or not, as the
name of the United States."