In re-reading what you wrote, I think it still sounds like you're
saying it's just business. The end result is they help seniors, so
it's ok. Although I realize now that you didn't mean that.
   So I'm glad that you get the other reality, that they may be
exploiting or abusing the nonprofit status. This outfit owns the Red
Bank senior community - Navesink House - which was covered by WABC's
Brian Williams to show the luxury available because his father was
living there, someone whom one might assume could afford to live
anywhere. PHS also owns Meadow Lakes, a sprawling community of lovely
vistas dotted with low buildings and sporting a full formal dining
room. And there are others in addition to the affordable communities.
   As for the tax break, I'm told municipalities have little if any
control over these determinations, which are made at the federal and
state level by agencies with significant political muscle. Hence, the
letter Asbury Park's council referred to when passing the tax benefit
by resolution, which reminded the city that they were due to receive
a very large - $12 million -- in additional aid, while at the same
time letting the city know the agency expected the tax package to be
approved.
   One more thing about PHS, for whom I worked a year as Activities
Director. Being a writer by trade, I immediately expanded the
newsletter into a 15-page magazine of sorts, which contained reviews
of all the activities the residents attended the previous month,
complete with color photos, as well as articles about health issues
and other topics of interest to them. They used to pour over it as
soon as it came out of the copy machine. (It was ridiculous producing
a 15 page newsletter on copying machines, but they wouldn't pay to
have it done out of house. And, I had to fight with the other staff
to get the time on the copier.)
   A few companies offered to advertise and/or subsidize the
production of the newsletter, which could have meant a very healthy
revenue flow for the seniors to use for extended trips, parties, and
purchases.
   However, I was discouraged by management from pursuing the ad
model. Finally, I wrote directly to a retired HUD officer, who passed
my letter and copy of the newsletter along to a current officer of
HUD. I just asked if HUD had any rules prohibiting such a business
model. Although that official's impression of the idea was totally
favorable, as long as a paper trail and appropriate accounting were
followed, he contacted Larry Gumina, pictured in the APP article with
Susan Bruncati, even before calling me. Bruncati "wrote me up" for my
trouble. They also at the same time wrote me up for posting the
newsletter on my resume web page. The reason was that one portion of
one page contained the work numbers and names of key employees. That
gave management two write ups to hold over my head.
    You have to ask yourself, why would a nonprofit, affordable
housing organization reject a revenue stream?
Maureen