Found this recent opinion:

"Aug 10, 2008
The Hotel, like Asbury Park itself, is rundown, with lots of vacant
lots, boarded up buildings and people that look and act as though
they are on work release from the state prison. The hotel room
itself was fine but the building needed serious exterior work. There
was broken glass and construction debris all along the perimeter.
The yard was overgrown with crabgrass breaking through pavement.
Lots of sloppy painting with chipped molding and paint chips and
paintdroppings falling all about. We were there for three days and
there was no groundskeeper to be seen. The back door of the hotel
was open all night so anyone could have wandered in

There was only one working elevator when we arrived and that went
down when a malfunctioning fire alarm set everything down. The
continental breakfast was bagels, coffee and OJ. That's it. There is
a bar, but it is not in use. It looks like there was a restaurant,
but it is not in use. The parking lot was a mess and hardly adequate
for the number of people.

The pool was actually quite nice and well kept, with smooth tile
bottom. It is clear that they are trying, but for the life of me, I
don't know why they opened when they clearly are not ready. If you
just want to hit the beach cheaply then this place is adequate, but
there are other beaches. Asbury is a dump by comparison. Try Point
Pleasant, Sandy Hook"