--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Pitzer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm an equal opportunity religious hater.
> To me, they are all BS.
> The only redeeming quality of religion is it's ability to bring
>people together as a support
> group. Why can't we do this on our own, without mythology?
> Why not have non-religious holidays just because we all work so
>hard?
> Christmas depresses me, and it makes me ponder the absurdity of a
>holiday that
> promotes spending excess. It's total hypocrisy. Spend spend spend,
>in the name of jesus.
> I'm sure god would approve.
> Sorry to sound so offensive, but we need to wake up on a global
>level and stop letting
> mythology rule our lives.
> When the stock market crashes, if it does, how can we justify the
>fact that some of the
> people guiding our destiny are on holiday because their religion
>gives them the
> opportunity?

I understand what you mean Jack (even if I don't share the view
about religion - I'm still Catholic ;-)).

There are ways to explore the "why are we here" question without
religion or even the need for a personal God with a name.

I've taken great spiritual comfort in reading about science.

In physics and cosmology, I particulary read about the Big Bang and
the expansion of the Universe. Related to that is quantum
mechanics.  Add to that Biology and Geology, particularly Darwin's
work and then going forward.

Give a try  -  you might dig it.

It's helped my spriituality greatly.