--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "asburycouple" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Werner, with all the BS flying back and forth on this board right now
> I never thought I could be so grateful to see you complain about
> lighting!

AsburyCouple,

Aren't complaints about Asbury Park's lighting overstated, because what
is good or bad is really in the eye of the beholder?

There's certainly no real objective standard despite anyone's attempt
to make one, because it truly is a matter of peronal likes and dislikes.

Anecdotally:

When I was growing up, the sign from Freddy's Pizza on Asbury Avenue
could be seen from by bedroom window.  There was a street light
outside, too.

I was used to all the light.

When I went to law school I lived in a 300 year old Manor House in the
middle of 40 acres in the woods.

My first night I was there alone.  I shut out the bedroom light and
couldn't believe the complete and total darkness.  I tried waving my
hand directly in front of my wide open eyes, and there was nothing -
like I was blind.  Dead silence too.

At first I didn't like it.    Wasn't me.  I didn't feel at home without
that Freddy's Pizza sign or the sound of cars and people.

However, after about a month,  I LOVED IT!   I understood the rural
concept.  There isn't a loneliness like I feared.  Instead there's a
sense of ownership, of home.  That piece of the Universie is yours -
you control it and know it and it's a defensive postion:  Someone who
wants me is going to be at a great disadvantage getting to me.

My "back to Asbury"  point is:  I unltimately didn't have to choose.
My enjoyment of lighting or no lighting was not mutually exclusive.  I
could dig them both.

So what's the big deal?  It's lighting.  It will affect people
differently.

A giant "so what."