<justifiedright@> wrote:

> > Maybe Werner and I should write a book together.
> >

> Definitely.
>
> Thank you for the detailed perspective, ALSO left off the
> postcards.
>
> If the past is prologue, it's worth looking at any area's history
> to figure out how it got to where it is and how it can get to where
> it could be. Your insights are invaluable in that regard, and if
> you don't get a book out, maybe you can at least put up a detailed
> Web site.

Definitely NOT - justifiedright (JR) is no friend of mine and contrary
to his statement, - "Please let me offer my own historical
understanding, which I believe I share with Werner,..." we do not
share a common understanding of Asbury Park. The only writing we will
do is adversarial, as he should concern himself more with the Attorney
Ethics Committee. Taking payment and then walking away from a job is
not very Asbury Park friend-like.

I digress --- to the issues - several of which need to be
challenged/corrected.

===JR says - "Bradly founded AP with the East-West split. The East
Side was his Christian resort and the west were folks who worked there."

That is just plain false - The west side was not under Bradley's
control, it was not even part of Asbury Park originally. The SW
evolved in parallel with, and outside the control of both Ocean Grove
and Asbury Park. A migrant workers camp initially for people seeking
work in the developing area. 'West of the tracks' did not become part
of the City until 1906 and Bradley opposed it believing it would be
too much of a financial burden to fund the improvements needed.

===JR says - "Bradly passed a law that said black people were not
allowed on the Boardwalk. He said he wanted to pass a law that said
poor whites from the West Side couldn't go either, but, as he put it,
"they have no distinguishing marks" so he couldn't enforce it."

No such law was passed, Bradley installed signs on the beachfront (his
property) asking that employees of the hotels refrain from taking up
all the seats and accommodations. Hotel guests and hotel owners were
complaining and Bradley's motive was to protect the tourism industry
the City depended on. He helped 'negro' families financially and
donated money to the local 'negro' churches. The reference to
'identification' refers to how would one know hotel workers from guests.

===JS says - "Couple the above with the fact that Bradley tried to
keep the boardwalk privately owned and the City had to wrestle it from
him in a lawsuit to make it public, and that's why I cringe when I
hear people make the false claim that Asbury Park was founded with a
dream of public access to the beach and boards. Nice warm feeling,
but historically inaccurate."

What's inaccurate is JR's revisionist history. Bradley operated and
opened the beachfront to the public at his own expense. He refused to
sell to a private developer because he wanted the property to be a
public asset, understanding that the control of the beachfront was key
to the City's well-being. The city sued regarding his ownership of
riparian rights purchased from the State. He was an advocate of having
a public beachfront and stipulated that requirement upon sale to the
City (a public entity).

What makes me cringe is coming to conclusions without the relevant
information and perpetuating fallacies.

Fast Forward - Which raises many issues concerning the sale of the
beachfront to a private 'developer' by the City in violation of the
original purchase agreement to keep it a public asset.

But of course no one cares since 'things are happening', they're
'having fun' and 'its better than it was'....

Werner