--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "sandpiper15" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Well that's exactly it. Among outsiders, those who "remember"
> Asbury's "glory days" and wish for them to some day "come back" are
> doing just that - mythologizing.

Exactly right for sure!  I've written of that many times.  That's why
the Save Tillie people's mouths would drop when they would encounter
locals who said we should get rid of the ugly old cartoon.  They
mythologized it, we knew it wasn't meaningful.

> But what 9 or 10 year old visitor in 1955 or 1960
> was going to stop to consider what life west of Main Street must be
> like?

What do you think life West of Main Street was like in 1955 or 1960?

>If the last memory of actually being in Asbury
> Park that outsiders have is of riding the carousel and playing skee-
> ball, and that represented a very happy time in their lives, then
>the
> realization that those rides and amusements disappeared in such a
> violent and un-fantasy-like manner will naturally inspire the
>wistful
> hope for the return of that fantasyland to some degree.

What violence rid the boardwalk of amusement rides?

> I touched on this with Sharon a while back vis-a-vis New Orleans.
>You
> don't have to live someplace to either want desperately for it to
> succeed or to take delight in its failure. Asbury Park is,
> unwittingly, the figurative repository for all the hallmarks of the
> continuing "great experiment" that is America. Race, class,
> capitalism, aspirationalism, regionalism, crime, culture,
government,
> etc. It's all there in one tiny square mile.

An apt decription.

> The mythical promised land, perhaps. But maybe some see in Asbury
> Park a chance to right finally get right what was for so long
>gotten
> wrong.

What was that?