--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "dfsavgny" <dfsavgny@> wrote:
>
> > On Morning Joe this morning, Bob Herbert made a wonderful conclusion
> > of improvement in race relations - forty years ago dogs and fire hoses
> > were used against black Americans and in a week's time, we may elect
> > the first today African-American president. Who that person is what
> > matters more than his color - that is only icing on the cake for what
> > it might mean to us and the world.
>
> Careful - they fired Rush Limbaugh from ESPN for saying the exact same
> thing about Donovan McNabb.

As Ronnie used to be fond of saying "there you go again."

Hardly the same. Not remotely. My remarks are above. That America
could elect an African-American who is the right person for the job
regardless of his color because of OUR HISTORY is quite different from
what Rush implied. I am sorry I have to breath on the same earth as
that fat, right-wing drug addict.
----------

The comments referenced by Limbaugh came during Sunday's pregame show
when the conservative talk show host offered the opinion that McNabb
wasn't as good as the media perceived him to be.

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL.
The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well,''
Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got
a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't
deserve. The defense carried this team."

Negative reaction did not come immediately. But on Tuesday, McNabb
told the Philadelphia Daily News: "It's sad that you've got to go to
skin color. I thought we were through with that whole deal."

>From there, the firestorm spread quickly. Democratic presidential
candidates Wesley Clark, Howard Dean and Rev. Al Sharpton called for
ESPN to fire Limbaugh. Others in both political and athletic circles
also lashed out at Limbaugh's comments.

The National Association of Black Journalists also called for ESPN to
"separate itself" from Limbaugh.

""ESPN's credibility as a journalism entity is at stake," NABJ
president Herbert Lowe said in a news release. "It needs to send a
clear signal that the subjects of race and equal opportunity are taken
seriously at its news outlets."

McNabb also provided more reaction on Wednesday.

"It's somewhat shocking to hear that on national TV from him," McNabb
said. "It's not something that I can sit here and say won't bother me."

Limbaugh turned down requests to appear on SportsCenter on Wednesday.
But earlier in the day on his syndicated radio talk show, he refused
to back down.

"All this has become the tempest that it is because I must have been
right about something," Limbaugh said. "If I wasn't right, there
wouldn't be this cacophony of outrage that has sprung up in the sports
writer community."

Wednesday night, ESPN issued a statement that, in part, read, "We have
communicated to Mr. Limbaugh that his comments were insensitive and
inappropriate."