"The actual intent behind Senator Obama's misstatement is easy to
discern without the need to invoke an obscure international
organization. He was trying to express the thought that in all the
time he had spent on the campaign trail so far in 2007-08, he had
visited all (48) of the states in the continental U.S. save for one
(i.e., "one left to go," excluding Alaska and Hawaii), but in his
weariness he slipped up and started off with "fifty" instead of
"forty." (Note the long pause in the video clip between the words
"fifty" and "seven.")"

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/57states.asp