Maybe the person in charge of coordinating the city's participation has
volunteered his/her time in this capacity.  Perhaps there is a
corporate sponsor or sponsors?  I doubt that this celebration or any
others that bring the community or parts of the community together will
break the AP bank.  I own a house there, pay my property taxes and feel
very comfortable to have a portion of them go towards community
celebrations.

Why?  Celebration of holidays (secular, national, religious) may bring
people into the city that otherwise wouldn't have come.  Belmar puts on
a huge Saint Patrick's day parade.  Toms River has people come from all
over to their Halloween parade.

According to the NJ Living site:
Each year, in the month of December, the city of Asbury Park presents
an annual Kwanzaa Celebration honoring the past, present and future of
ita African American community.  This special event includes
performance groups and guest speakers.