I also think you are missing the point that the lighting was a novelty back
then.
We've been living with outdoor lighting for more then a century now, and it's a
normal part
of life.
The question in AP is simple - Are the fixtures being used appropriate for the
usage?
Are they cost effective?  Could better fixtures have been utilized, that
would've done the
same job, more appropriately?
And, what about the idea of being a better neighbor to Ocean Grove?