Thought I was in for a feel-good read.  Until I came across the  reference to
Asbury Park as "a town of losers."  Guess I'm not  thick-skinned.  Feel free
to educate this guy via the comment box or  letters link.

Anyone get what he means by "horizontally inclined"?

>From Duke University's   The Sandbox - Recess
at   http://tinyurl.com/6m3ccx        Posted:  12/4/08

We New Jerseyans have thick skin about most offenses to the Garden State.
(Just to be clear: It doesn't smell like garbage, I don't find it ironic that
our state nickname invokes beauty and if New Jersey is the armpit of America,
our glob of a country sure is horizontally inclined.)

We'll tolerate most barbs, but don't you dare demean Bruce Springsteen,
because The Boss is ours. He's stitched himself into the fabric of New Jersey,
and by this point he's as culturally ingrained as diners, Tony Soprano and the
neon lights on the boardwalk's tilt-a-whirls down the shore.

It doesn't matter that Springsteen became rock and roll's future by  yearning
to leave New Jersey and find himself on the open road, to quit the  boardwalk
scene and pull out of a town full of losers, because even though he  left...
well, he never really did. He still plays rollicking shows in Giants  Stadium
on every tour and, with the E Street Band, awes crowds with rumbling  sets
that include the same hits from those iconic 1970s albums.

The state's true poet laureate is now a revered social critic, and his  music
reflects his age and political activism-and from a selfish standpoint,  it's
simply not as fun to blast the new stuff and sing along even though you  can't
hear your own voice, because it's not that type of music anymore. There  are
no more Thunder Roads for Springsteen to find, only 41 shots for him to riff
on.

Except, that is, for about one month every year, when radio stations  hide
Born in the U.S.A. or The Rising and pull out a dusty track that hasn't  been
played in 11 months.

Roy Bittan starts by tickling the piano to conjure bells, and the crowd
roars in hysterical approval. Clarence Clemons does his best impersonation of
Santa Claus and then, beautifully, Springsteen comes in with the simple words
we've all memorized on the notes we all know are coming, yet somehow feel fresh

every year: "You better watch out/You better not cry/Better not pout/I'm
telling  you why."

Then it's the crowd's turn, a reincarnation of the  call-and-response
Springsteen uses in all of his live shows now. It doesn't  matter if you're in
the
car alone or if you're surrounded by thousands at the  Stone Pony in Asbury
Park; you yell, "Santa Claus is coming to town!" as loud,  as hoarsely and with
as
much holiday fervor as you can. Max Weinberg ratchets up  the percussion,
Miami Steve croons in the background, Clarence solos on the  sax-it's familiar,
but invigorating.

It's the best Christmas song of all time, because it captures the spirit of
the holiday season. Find the bells and let loose. Embrace the company of
others.  And for goodness sake, fuhgeddabout the Jersey sneer, and be thankful
the
state  is, indeed, not a glorified parking lot.

We have, after all, given even the naughtiest of you the gift of  Springsteen.

Happy Thankshallowistmas