In a message dated 1/8/2009 9:18:05 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
oakd...@yahoo.com writes:

--- In  AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, marioa...@... wrote:An overview of the
newspaper  vs. the web issue recently discussed
here  from  the  University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School for   Business.

parts must be dated because this comment isn't true any  longer...

AM and FM radio and the ubiquity of  iPods.<<<

The article was published yesterday, but I, too, wondered about pay  radio.
Never bought into it myself, and it looks like Howard Stern may be  sorry he
made the switch.  >>>>  _http://tinyurl.com/a457d9_ (http://tinyurl.com/a457d9)

But in the same article  is this:  Even though Sirius XM is one  of the very
few media companies whose revenue and number of subscribers are  growing these
days, a dime and a nickel will get you a share of the company's  stock (with
some change left over).   [52 week change =   minus 95 %]

I guess Wharton is referring to the public's continuing appetite for pay
services, not whether an individual company has made wise decisions.

I always opted for at least one premium TV and one On Demand package; then
added NetFlix early on, 3 at a time for approx $18/month.  Then, oddly, was
able to get unlimited On Demand from Netflix by adding the Roku gizmo  for less
money, $9/month (less than the price of admission at most  theaters).
Now Roku offers Amazon's OD with more companies to follow....

So some media companies with smartz have been able to thrive in a fast
changing technology environment.  As a media consumer, I knew Netflix would
thrive
when I saw the 60 minutes segment in 2006.   _http://tinyurl.com/2ch4ve_
(http://tinyurl.com/2ch4ve)

Back then he was already gearing up for streaming directly to TV, not  PCs.
But what impressed me most was his understanding that customer  service was
paramount.  NetFlix stopped hiding their contact numbers and  went to 24/7/365
live phone reps.  Amazon has a similar system with almost  immediate call backs
when you submit your phone number online.