Valid points, all of them, but the fact is that Bruce Springsteen and Asbury
Park will be
forever linked for so many reasons.
I see people taking their photos all the time in front of the Stone Pony, and I
tend to think
that the only reason they do so is because of it's connection to Bruce.
I've told this story before, but a few years ago I was working at the German
MTV music
video awards in Hannover Germany.
I was wandering around the location, which was the Worlds Fair where it was
being shot,
and proudly wearing my "Vaccarro Guitars" shirt which features the name "Asbury
Park, NJ"
I can't tell you how many people stopped me to ask about the shirt, and 2
really nice
women actually offered to buy the shirt right off my back. They kept asking if
I knew Bruce
and all sorts of related questions. And this happened to me many times.
Many of us in AP have said for years that AP is completely ignoring the concept
of music
tourism as it relates to Bruce and the rich musical heritage that pretty much
put the city on
the world map for many people.