Jack,
I guess I don't see the boardwalk through the same eyes.  I never
expect boardwalks to be grand.  I have lots of very happy boardwalk
memories and none were fancy.  I grew up in Point Pleasant and worked
on that boardwalk.  We rolled down the garage doors over the stands to
lock up at night.  Most people think Point Pleasant is and has always
been a very nice place.
I have also had similar experiences regarding the Bruce - AP
connection.  I was in Ireland in the summer of 1980 when I told people
where I was from no one had heard of Pt Pl, so I'd move up to AP next.
 I usually got a Bruce Springsteen response or even a do you know
Bruce question.  Ireland is a lot smaller than the US.  They figured
he lived in the next village LOL.  If AP didn't work I had to say I
was near NYC.
I have seen many Bruce fans around the city in the last few years and
they seem very pleased with AP. I've taken a lot of pictures for
people standing under the Greetings from Asbury Park lights on CH.  It
wasn't always like this.  I remember buying a book back in the late
80's for a Bruce loving boyfriend.  The book described AP as a
desolate place with an empty beach on the 4th of July.  Not anymore.
As for a Bruce display, why does it have to be done by the city?  Any
local business could either borrow or buy Bruce memorabilia and have a
display.  Just a thought.
Hell if Bruce wants to lend All AHEAD some stuff I'd use it as a
fundraiser for creating and maintaining homeownership in the city. I'm
not sure how, but I'd figure out some way to make money for the cause.
 Bruce have your people call my people.
Jennifer