--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Gabrielle Obre"
<gabrielleo...@...> wrote:

> Michael,
>
> My guess is Jack wasn't thinking of something like what is posted
> here. This seems to have evolved into a community of all sorts of
> discussion. Besides, there are plenty of free discussion sites that
> wouldn't cost the taxpayers anything. I am sure there are plenty of
> current costs that lots of taxpayers are not happy with.
>
> Long Branch videotapes their council meetings. There is no reason
that
> city docs are not available in PDF form on the city's site. It would
> cost the city less. When I got a copy of the Budget (in completely
> unaccessible form for the average person) they handed me a pack of
> paper that would have cost a decent amount to photocopy.
>
> One of the reasons that I love the Center for Civic Responsibility
is
> that they teach citizens to go through a checklist of areas to
> discover how open cities are with information.
>
> A city that cares about open government would make information
easily
> available.

Actually, in Long Branch, the city refuses to video tape the
meetings. For the last year the people at meetings have asked the
Mayor & Council to cause Comcast to tape and view them as they are
renegotiating the cable contract.

I have been taping them and putting them up at
http://www.longbranch.tv myself.  For the last 4 plus years, except
when I am out of town.  Then another volunteer has done it and gotten
the tape to me to place on the site.  It has been at no one's cost
but my own. (not complaining, it is my civic contribution)

Also, it is easy for me to do as I have all the equipment, the
server, the software and I work on internet projects all day long.

Kevin Brown
www.jerseykev.com