--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, marioa...@... wrote:

> A good discussion and I agree lots of valid points -- still not sure where
> I come down on this -- need some time to get over the joy of seeing people
> --  lots of people here.
>
> Looking for possible parallels:  I used to enjoy taking a day off to
> attend the lighting of the xmas tree at Rockefeller Center --  back when it
> was
> broadcast locally at 4 PM.  Easy to get there, park, and get up front
> viewing.  Then it went Mad Men Mega-event, national TV, and almost
> impossible to
> access without three days planning and/or costly tickets for  upfront
> viewing.  Impossible to get to any retailers or restaurants in the  area for
> hours, can't cross streets, herded like cattle by police -- use subway
> entrances & exits simply to cross the streets.  No longer enjoyable for  me
> -- but I
> am assuming a big hit $$$ wise for the city and merchants, and media  focus
> on NYC musbe great PR.
>
> Same with the inconveniences that became overwhelming for the Village
> Halloween Parade -- The Macy's Thanksgiving Parade....  normal access to
> public
> spaces not so normal during those events for people who don't want to
> watch a parade.   Street food fairs and Street book  fairs....  Street flea
> markets, block parties  ....   Maybe fortunate unfortunate access ....   ?
>

> In a message dated 7/20/2010 2:05:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> mark07...@... writes:
>
> All  valid points about CH, but we can't stop there. I guess someone needs
> to bring  this all up at the next city council meeting. I guess when we can
> kiss the  Asbury Film Festival event at CH goodbye as well since it's closed
> off for  their welcoming event. Let's kick out revision theatre from the
> carousel  building as well. They have the nerve to charge for tickets to see
> Tommy in a  public space!
> Since we can't please all, I think they should just ban all  events on
> public space in Asbury starting with Roadtrip.  The organizers  should move
> it
> to Belmar or long branch. Who needs 1,000s of people spending  money in town
> and taking up valuable beach space, hotel rooms and filling up  restaurants?
> Let some other towns share the wealth. Asbury doesn't need it and  I'm sure
> places like Long Branch would welcome all the revenue. I'm sure the  people
> going to Biggies Clam shack will more than make up for all the hundreds  of
> thousands of dollars in lost revenue from the weekend. I almost forgot to
> mention ending gay pride in asbury park. They charged for that too and
> closed  public streets for a parade. Bye Bye Pride. Since we can't pick and
> choose, we  must end all events on public space. No more BBQ festival in the
> park
> either.  Get rid of the flea markets at sunset park as well. Bye Bye
> [...]

Big difference in not being able to access public space temporarily for an
event and only being able to access that space for a fee to same event.

Listen, if the public wants to do it fine, but then why not a cut of the pie?

So let the city close down your entire block for a day and for a permit fee
give it over to a private entity who can then park cars there for a fee. During
that time you cannot enter that street or park your car without paying that
fee. It's a deal.